AP/Icon

Asian American Culture, Politics, Issues. Politipop, humor and observations. Road Stories from tour dates of Amerasian legends Slanty Eyed Mama. The comedy of Asian American Comedy Star Kate Rigg. Interacting with different Asian American groups from colleges and community organizations, as well as people involved in feminist/multicultural/socio-political/ and groups interested in fostering understanding between diverse communities in America and beyond.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

High School age asian adoptee responds to "Phoenix Rides a Skateboard"

It's a fan letter, ok, which is trashy, but she is part of us, and I had to share....


Dear Kate Rigg,

Hi! My name is Denise and I'm currently sixteen years old. I currently attend Pierre Elliott Trudeau High School which is located in Markham, Ontario.

Near the end of grade eleven, my drama teacher suggested that I read a play -- this play, known as "The Phoenix Rides a Skateboard." She told me that this piece was quote on quote "so you, Denise." So I decided to read it and it kinda freaked me out at first that my drama teacher knew me that well.

Case in point: I love the play. I love it to bits. Sometimes I feel as if I am Kim and that should maybe use Kim as my middle name or something. It's also kinda' eerie too at the same time to relate to something i've actually been through. I'm in love with it and for the past two weeks, it's all I have been thinking of.

I grew up in Ajax, Ontario and lived there for around thirteen years. Oh yeah, I'm Chinese but I gotta admit that I like it when people say I look mixed or something. It's just weird because I grew up in a different neighbourhood around people that were of a different race. It was hard to fit in but I survived.

When I moved to Markham ... I was overwhelmed at the number of Chinese people at my school. it was... scary, for lack of a better word. And yes, I was born in Canada and sometimes I refer to myself as Canadian and even say "I am CANADIAN but my parents are Chinese"... hehe. It's strange b/c I refused to hang out with people of my race... I just wanted to be Canadian. Not just that though -- back in the day, when I was delusional -- i wanted to be someone else... simply that. i guess sometimes i still am but the point is, i try my best to overcome that "everyone bully denise" phase.

Oh yes! I went through a phase where I listened only to Rock Music... I still love it by the way -- LINKIN PARK!! All my closest friends aren't even Chinese... I felt really embarrassed to be one. It's hard to explain but when I read your play, it's almost as if I felt good to know that a fictional character seemed so real, she could almost be related to me.

Anyway, I'm getting to a point here. My drama teacher suggested that I perform "The Phoenix Rides a Skateboard" for the Ontario Sears Drama Festival. I was soooooo hyped up for it over the weekend and couldn't stop thinking about it. I read the play over and over again and fell even more in love with Kim.

But just today I found out that the festival doesn't accept one woman shows and was completely traumatized. i'll admit it, i was so upset and disappointed, i cried. this would have been the greatest challenge for me.

so i decided to email you and ask you if you're familiar with any festivals that actually do accept one woman shows... because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and i don't think i'd ever get this chance ever again. i want to make my last year in high school worth remembering and acting has become my biggest passion.

it would be amazing to act in your play. it's brilliant and astounding. i can fully connect to it. it just so happens that there are such restrictions. if you do know any festivals, please let me know. i'd really appreciate it.

thanks SOOOOOOOOOO much ... if you got this far. sorry for typing so much!!

1 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger daknewguy said...

You will probably never see this Denise - but after reading this email that you sent 7 years ago...I can now understand why you were always so narrow sighted when it came to friendship, romantics and even accepting yourself as a person.

It`s sad, because you and I grew up in the exact same circumstances (white dominant town, bullied, etc), yet for some reason you wanted to be more `white` than I did - to a point where you starting neglecting your original Asian heritage like it was a disease or something. Even the poster who published your email wasn`t too happy with it.

Of course we are in 2012 now and you are probably a hot shot somewhere like I imagined you were going to become back in High School.

I knew you back then quite well...I always wondered if you ended up finding what you were looking for passion wise. I think finally accepting and appreciating yourself is a good start - if that ever happened at all.

cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home